The heritage display in the Honbu Convent in Kyoto, Japan, exemplifies the internationality of the School Sisters of Notre Dame.
The SSND call to Asia came in 1947 after World War II, when a missionary from Belgium described the needs of the people to the sisters in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1948, the first School Sisters of Notre Dame accepted the invitation to go to Kyoto, Japan.
In April 1970, Japan obtained the status of region, forming an independent SSND unit. In 1998, when the sisters of Japan celebrated their 50th anniversary, there were 82 Japanese sisters recognized as “pearls of great price.” These Japanese sisters, along with SSNDs from the United States, ministered together in schools and related works.
Visit School Sisters of Notre Dame on Pinterest.
See more images of the Kyoto, Japan
location on our Pinterest page.
They established a junior high school in 1952, a senior high school in 1953, an elementary school in 1954, and a women’s college in 1961.
In August 2013, the SSND Region of Japan rejoined with the Central Pacific Province. There currently are 58 School Sisters of Notre Dame in Japan.
The heritage display in Japan illustrates these moments in history with portraits of the first SSND missionaries, as well as photographs of the regional councils over the years. It also includes gifts and items from the various locations where sisters from Japan and other countries have ministered, including Guam, Nepal, Ghana and Sierra Leone.
You can read more about the SSND presence in Japan on the Sturdy Roots website.